Monday, June 27, 2016

For Your Name’s Sake


For your name’s sake, O LORD , pardon my iniquity, for it is great.”
Psalm 25:11

For you are my rock and my fortress; therefore,
for your name’s sake lead me, and guide me.”
Psalm 31:3

Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of your name,
and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for your name’s sake.”
Psalm 79:9

Give me life, O LORD , for your name’s sake!
For your righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.”
Psalm 143:11

Some people in the Bible, such as David, loved God so much that the best reason they could think of for asking God for mercy and help is so that His name would be glorified more.
Jesus was like that.  He thought that the best reason for us to live right is so that people around us would speak well of his Father: “Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Mt. 5:16).  And so did Peter: “Keep your conduct honorable among the Gentiles so that, although they speak against you as evildoers, they will, having seen your good works, glorify God in the day of visitation” (1Pet. 2:12).
Let’s give our heavenly Father a blessing today.  Let’s live so that somebody around us will say something good about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment